[lit-ideas] The Bush Button

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:46:10 -0600

Eric:

I have several friends who HAVE to hate Bush--not merely strongly disagree with individual policies, but actively hate Bush--and anything else is apostasy, is tergiversation, is personal betrayal.

I'm one of those Bush Haters. Not because I HAVE TO HATE HIM -- in fact, I don't even know what that means. I suppose you're saying that Bush Haters feel compelled to hate Bush by their peer group, that unless they speak the shibboleths of hate, they'll not be admitted into the hip scene which Lawrence Helm would call the Islamo-Terrorist-Marxist-Liberal-PussyWhipped-Peacenik-Chickenshitcowards (and have 873 authors to back him up, God bless him), but which I would call simply patriotic Americans with a modicum of social conscience. But maybe there's another reason some people hate Bush with such special virulence. Maybe some of us see the damage being done to what we assumed (perhaps naively) are the core values of America -- damage that seems to many of us as being close to irreparable. Maybe some of us see people like Dick Cheney and Tom Delay and the Enron Gang and the World Com Conmen, the Global Crossing Double-Crossers, and all the Blalocks and Jack Abramoffs buying off Congress, and all the unaccountable Andersen Accounting firms firming up phony profits and all the phony prophets of Islamic Armageddon as adjuncts to George W. Bush. The old part and parcel. Maybe because we see the Patriot Act as Fascism in Action, because we see Gitmo and Abu Ghraib as clones of the Gulag Archipelago, because we see the destruction of Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid as a plutocratic, orgiastic greed-grab, because we see in the Katrina response by the Bush Administration, not just unimaginable incompetence but criminal malfeasance and execrable indifference to the welfare of the ordinary citizens of this country. But mostly, I think, Bush Hatred is based, not their fouling of the domestic nest, but their policies of rank colonialism. The whole world told these stupid, stupid, stupid men NOT TO INVADE IRAQ but they (like Cheney said to Lehey) told the world: "Go fuck yourself." We know what was best for the us and the world.

But, of course, it was Bush-Cheney who fucked everything up. Everything. Everything, everything, everything. Convince me of one thing they haven't fucked up and I'll kiss your ass. They are not just incompetent -- they're don't even KNOW they're incompetent. They're not just evil, they don't even KNOW they're evil -- although I'm not sure if you can be evil without knowing you're evil -- any help here, Phil?

So anyway. Those are just a few of the reasons why I hate George W. Bush so much. I could go on for days but I have to get to another job. I hope this helps you in your quest to understand Bush Haters and their virulence -- Bush and his ilk have done more damage to America than Osama Ben Laden ever dreamed of being able to do.

Mike Geary
Memphis
trying to clear the Bush