[lit-ideas] Re: WTO and War

  • From: "Cassidy Dann" <cassidy_dann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:15:07 -0500

I have several friends who HAVE to hate Bush--not merely strongly disagree with individual policies, but actively hate Bush--and anything else is apostasy, is tergiversation, is personal betrayal. That's how they think. I can speculate as to whether it's father issues, or their image of themselves, or something in their personal life that makes this particular Republican into the Father of All Lies. It doesn't matter. As long as I don't press their "Bush" button, these friends are charming, lovable, and devoted. When the "Bush" button is on, their postures change, their speech patterns change, and one either shares their hate or is pariah, the "rightwing fanatic" tattoo slowly healing on one's bicep.

What is it with those folks? How many problems do they think their attitude helps solve? Why can't they oppose without gibbering? I have the same problem with their fat-headed rightwing counterparts, gibbering on about the Night of the Liberals and the Curse of the Mainstream Media. I don't know when or how America got so simple-minded. What happened to nuance and complexity?

Sincerely, Cassidy Dann
Rappahannock, Va