[lit-ideas] Re: Usage in the USA?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:32:39 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"Perhaps someone can explain to me why the head of Random House Trade
Publishing editorial once told me to avoid the third edition of
_Fowler's Modern English Usage_ and stick to 'the excellent second
edition'?"

I was told by a linguistic purist that the third edition was too
descriptive and removed too much of Fowler's rather idiosyncratic style.
Personally, I use Garner's _Dictionary of American Usage and Style_.

To get a sense of the Usage debate, and the odd people involved, see

http://tinyurl.com/6y4ta

The article is quite long but might be an entertaining read for anyone
at all interested in language use.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON