[lit-ideas] Re: Tune and Turn Off - Panic Attacks

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 00:29:04 -0400

Of course there's a why.  If there's no why, then panic disorder should be
treatable by an M.D.  *Nobody* wants negative symptoms of any kind,
consciously.  Unconsciously, it's a different story.  Symptoms are a
cocoon, a payoff, a distraction.  They serve a purpose.  To say there is no
why is to invalidate psychotherapy.  One might argue that the why is not
important, that treating the symptom might be enough, but even there, but
that kind of cure doesn't last unless fundamental changes are made in self
esteem, anger issues etc. etc.  Getting to the why is extremely difficult
because of denial.  A pretty good illustration of somatizing issues is the
BBC series, or even the movie, The Singing Detective (the series is better,
but I needed captions).  His is not panic disorder, but everyone has their
own way of dealing with issues depending on their particular life details.
Panic is just one of countless ways.  All these problems are like pasta,
lots of shapes, same dough.

So I don't send a bunch of posts, I saw a pretty good movie tonight.  Not
wonderful, but good, worth watching.  It covers a lot of issues that we've
talked about on this list.  A slow beginning, but worth hanging in for.
It's called Mr. Holland's Opus, 1995 with Richard Dreyfus.