[lit-ideas] Re: Tradition sedition

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:06:57 -0800

Except, this is one of the areas that got Heidegger into trouble later on.
He urged individuals to seek authenticity, but not just as individuals - as
Germans.  There was, according to Heidegger an authenticity unique to the
Germans.  If they sought it and found it then they could be the spiritual
leaders of Europe.  They would of course need an ubermensch to lead them,
but they could then lead the rest of Europe into a new enlightened age.
That sounded to many, later on, like the Nazi affection for a Wagnerian sort
of barbarianism.   But Heideggerians produced good evidence that this wasn't
what Heidegger meant.  While he didn't get into specifics he lapsed into a
desire for poetry at this point.  Only Holderlin or a poet like him could
tell them about this authenticity.

What I found attractive in this is that one need not look for absolutes.
One needn't insist that there is a given set of values that all people
everywhere ought to treasure.  One needn't seek categorical imperatives that
apply to everyone.  One can seek what is best about the particular
"tradition," whatever it is that is "authentic" in our tradition and try to
live up to that.

He did set about trying to make his university live up to this ideal, but
that didn't turn out well.  And of course his attempts at influencing the
Nazi Party didn't turn out well either.  He didn't oppose specifics.  He
just didn't seem very good at them.

It is only when we try to universalize this authenticity that the idea
starts to fall apart.  It works best within a single ethnicity or nation.
What is the French authenticity or the Russian?  There will be differences
of opinion, but there will also be some agreement and the French will see
that there "authenticity" is different than the Russians but they won't
worry about it - at least they ought not worry.  Their concern should be to
seek authenticity for French, and they will find it, whatever it is, some
place in the French traditions.

Part of what I have been doing is "trying this idea on."  Granted it seems
to fit a U.S. conservative viewpoint better than it does a "liberal" one, if
we define Liberal as "Progressive."  A Progressive, it seems to me, isn't
going to be spending as much time searching his traditions for authenticity
as a Conservative is.

The searching after authenticity may at first seem an awkward fit with the
Wilsonian idea that Liberal Democracy should be exported.   Of course if
this (the exportation of Liberal Democracy) is authentic for us, perhaps we
can take the view that we are leading the world into a new "Economic
paradise" (not quite "spiritual" but the Germans couldn't manage "spiritual"
either).  But it isn't egalitarian in the sense of valuing every nation's
authenticity as much as our own.  We don't value the Islamist "authenticity"
as much as our own.  It is in direct conflict with it - as much as the
Communist authenticity was in conflict with Heidegger's authenticity.

Lawrence