[lit-ideas] Re: Tradition sedition

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:14:20 -0600

This is the last time I'm going to waste my energy trying to straighten you
people out about Heidegger.  I swear you folk try the patience of a saint.
In "Being and Time" Heidegger sets out the startling these startling truths:
(1) human beings have consciousness of their own existence and the existence
of things "out there", (2) existence is temporary and we know this, (3) each
one of us was taught how and what to think by the particular world we were
born into, (4)  we are the world we were born into, (5) most of us seem to
accept the world without question and being good boy scouts, get merit
badges and die. (6) some however get aberrant ideas whether through
psychosis or a genius gene and reinterpret an idea causing a new idea that
others misunderstand and so it goes the world of idea change. (7) as human
beings (says Heidegger) our first concern is with knowing existence,
examining what it means to exist.  Most people don't, they (says Heidegger)
live inauthentic lives -- rush hour traffic is full of them -- while those
who ponder existence are gathered in Starbucks sipping authenticity.

All the rest of Heidegger is crap.  A Nazi trying to glory the darkest days
of German history.

Phil, originality is rarely original, I think.  As you say, vocabulary is
limited, our time on earth to experience things is limited, it wouldn't
surprise me then to learn that all possibilities have been exhausted.  I
read somewhere a guesstimate that 300 billion people has existed since it
all began -- that's a lot of competition.  Of course, math and technology
are open fronts -- worlds I know even less about than philosophy.  Perhaps
there.  But even in the liberal arts, there a new combinations, new
sensibilities, new possibilities for those who don't know everything.

"Aletheia"  doesn't that mean, I don't know much art, but I know what I
like?  : )

Mike Geary
Memphis