[lit-ideas] Re: The myth of the "American Century," or Calling Americans back to greatness

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:28:55 +0900

On 7/5/06, Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Globalization means no center."

ck: That's what I meant when I wrote that it will be "no one's" century. But
do the neocons agree, or are they still planning for their "New American
Century"?

What was actually most peculiar to someone who lives in Asia was the notion that the Chinese might have "bought into the myth of the American century." China has long seen itself as the "Middle Kingdom" and the 19th and 20th centuries can easily be construed as one of those unfortunate interregnums when the barbarians briefly triumphed before the natural Sinocentric order of things was restored.

Now, of course, there is also India to be considered. Many Indians I
know dream of India's becoming a 21st century great power. And, on a
regional scale, the notion that the 21st century will be "Asia's
century" has been quite popular throughout the region.

Cheers,

John

--
John McCreery