[lit-ideas] Re: The myth of the "American Century," or Calling Americans back to greatness

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 05:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The idea of any century "belonging" to one country
> is peculiar, but the 21st
> century, in particular, seems destined to be
> dominated by no one. Not even
> the Chinese.

*I agree. That many Chinese seem bound on insisting
that the 21st century should be the Chinese century
indicates that that they have bought into the myth of
the "AMerican century." It seems that American myths
often have more potent effects abroad than home, and
some may even have been made for foreign consumption.
(This is also partially true of Israeli myths, Chinese
myths, European myths etc.)

There is a number of interesting posts around, it
might take me some time to respond properly.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com