[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:21:35 -0700

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

So if YOU know this, why in the bloody blue blazes can't the Doc's tell my Aunt if my Grandmother has dementia or Altzheimers?? And would it make a difference? Treatment?

Your first question doesn't make sense, Julie. Alzheimer's causes dementia, but not everything that causes dementia is Alzheimer's. Moreover, most Alzheimer's sufferers have, in the late stages of the disease, other dementia-causing conditions, usually a series of non-fatal strokes.

The surest way of diagnosing Alzheimer's and other brain diseases such as Creuzfeldt-Jakob is by autopsy. It can though be diagnosed by brain imaging using positron emission tomography (PET) scanning.

See

http://www.wvm.petctmobile.com/zportal/portals/pat/brain/Alzheimers_Disease/pet_scans

Robert Paul
Reed College