[lit-ideas] Re: The bullshit stamp

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:19:15 -0700

David Ritchie wrote:

I thought, "How extraordinary." And then, "At least I hope they're extraordinary."

Norman Malcolm once wrote in the margin of one of my papers, 'Meaning what, precisely?' I did not see this as a suggestion that I refine or sharpen the meaning of the underlined passage. I saw it (rightly, I think) as implying that there was no way it could be given any meaning at all. Not even a rough one.

And then there's the time I had a long conversation with the late David Sachs, in a College Town hangout, in which I used the word 'por-tent-yoo-us' a number of times without his either pronouncing portentous correctly (a gentle chide) or correcting me outright. This struck me afterwards as the equivalent of hazing.

Robert Paul
The Mutton Institute