[lit-ideas] Re: easy

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:27:35 -0500

If I didn't have a few smart students in the front of the class (to supply the missing words) I'd never get through a lecture. Two little stories:

I talk a lot about Egypt in my Classics course. One day near the end of the year, I suddenly couldn't remember the word 'pyramid.' As you describe, I kept rummaging for the word as my sentence unwound itself. Nothing. I finally said, 'those pointy things in Egypt' along with a hand gesture. The students killed themselves laughing.

Another time I was planning to say something about how St. Paul in his mission to the Gentiles had the sense to keep what was appealing about Judaism and throw out the difficult parts. I was heading for the word 'circumcision,' embroidering the sentence as I rummaged somewhat frantically for the word.. I was already picturing having to do charades before it finally appeared.

Ursula, ready for retirement...
in North Bay

John Wager wrote:
2. Along the same lines: I often find myself starting a sentence and I start have a sense that I don't know the word that I will need in a minute to finish the sentence. I keep on going with the sentence, while my mind rummages around at the same time looking for the word. Finally I finish the sentence, sometimes with the correct word and sometimes without it.