[lit-ideas] Re: The Simpsons as philosophy

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 06:26:37 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for posting this.  I want to say that further to the thread regarding
the take off on the Ahmadinejad letter, sometimes, often in fact, laughter is a
form of stress relief, kind of the flip side of crying.  However, sometimes
comedy is just evil too, mockery, derision, arrogance.  Arrogance truly is a
form of self hatred, somewhere in the narcissistic disorder spectrum.  The
'humorous' responses to Ahmadinejad's overtures strike me as falling into the
second category.  Bombing a country is such a breathtakingly serious issue that
to use any comedy on it at all is completely inappropriate, to put it mildly.
There should have been at the least an official response to not take those who
are doing it seriously.

  For Julie, my laptop is not working.  I think it's the software.  I have to
have it fixed.  In the meantime, I went to Yahoo because I don't have the amago
address loaded on my other computer.  Yahoo is a bit cumbersome because it's
web mail, but better than Earthlink's web mail.  I thought minerva was rather
clever, a bit of a spoof on myself.

John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Anyone else seen this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4995624.stm

Two particularly pointed paragraphs:

"To speak truthfully and insightfully today you must have a sense of
the absurdity of human life and endeavour. Past attempts to construct
grand and noble theories about human history and destiny have
collapsed.

"We now know we're just a bunch of naked apes trying to get on as best
we can, usually messing things up, but somehow finding life can be
sweet all the same. All delusions of a significance that we do not
really have need to be stripped away, and nothing can do this better
that the great deflater: comedy."

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN