[lit-ideas] Re: The Simpsons as philosophy

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 02:09:06 -0700

John McCreery wrote:

Anyone else seen this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4995624.stm

In commenting on The Simpsons as philosophy, 'Kara, Portland, Oregon, USA,' writes:

'It's a lot to put on the shoulders of our local hero, Groening, to call him an ambassador of American culture, but every episode does seem to illustrate our country's ridiculous character in a way that no well-spoken diplomat can. I'm glad it's appreciated the world over...I'm proud every time I walk down Flanders St... and Lovejoy St... and Quimby St... and when I pass the Trojan Nuclear Power Plant.'

Kara is referring to local place names (there are others) that have found their way into the Simpsons. The design of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant was apparently based on Portland General Electric's Trojan Nuclear Plant, which was decommissioned in 1993. (The plant was about 35 miles north of Portland.) Last Sunday its iconic cooling tower was imploded, to the applause of onlookers on the banks of the Columbia.

Matt Groening grew up in Portland, and graduated from Lincoln High School. Homer Simpson is named after his father, Homer Groening.

Robert Paul
Reed College