[lit-ideas] The Short Answer

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:06:17 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I recently had an off list exchange with a list member regarding what might be
described as the "Golden Age" of the list.  I offered this in reponse.  I would
like to now post it to the list.

A.A.  People cannot be stopped from what they want to do.  If they wanted to
discuss
Wittgenstein or Popper or Plato, they would.   If they aren't, then the question
needs to be addressed as to why, without short answering "new
people".  Michael Chase, for example, has posted, and no one has answered.
Why?  Are these people no longer subscribed?  If so, assuming they want to
discuss
philosophy, why are they no longer subscribed?  Is this not a forum filled with
philosophers?  Assuming too that there is a "new mix", can the old mix
not carry on their own threads among themselves?  Must the answer be as simple
as,
there are new people, so therefore we can't talk about what we really want to
talk
about?

[End of excerpt.]  Personally, I think there's a huge world out there.
Philosophy is just one part of it.

Andy