[lit-ideas] Re: The Seamy Side of Semiotics

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 03:26:06 -0500

TP:
>Heh, every Philosophy student in Helsinki U at least used to have a >tobacco pipe, and perfecting the rituals is a life long quest.<<

I had a Creative Writing teacher at San Francisco State who smoked a pipe in class -- a while back as you many guess. As a Creative Writing teacher there's really not much to think about, most student writings simply reek of self-absorption, but he would tend to the pipe rituals after every reading before beginning any comments. Perhaps he used the time to temper his criticisms and hopefully thereby prevent suicides, I don't know. I suspect he just liked the image of himself as a wise and judicious man of letters. To cut to the chase, I submitted a story about a professor whom I described as "a pipe-sucking sciolist". He didn't like the story.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Teemu Pyyluoma" <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>