[lit-ideas] Re: "I love Carrie. I don't always like her, but I love her"

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 04:00:09 -0500

JL:
>Note that for Grice, there is a scale implicature

Speaking of Grice (actually, of Christ -- thanks to P. Stone's "Jesus Grice!")
I saw a bumper sticker today that said:
"Jesus Loves You the Best".

Funny how that didn't surprise me.  Egotism makes life easier.

<love, like>

Note though the contradictionary implicatures inherent in Christianity:  "Jesus
Loves You", so you'd better not jilt him or you'll end up in hell -- he'll
still love you though, he just won't like you.  It seems even God treats those
he likes better than those he loves.  I'm convinced that we like those who
entertain us and make us feel good about ourselves.  We love those we're yoked
to because if they fall, we fall with them.  Love is team work.  Like is fun.
Faulkner once quoted a Mississippi girl as saying in answer to the difference
between love and like: "If I likes them, I lets them.  If I loves them, I helps
them."  But she obviously confuses love with lust.  So do we all sometimes, so
do we all.  Anyway, I'm glad to see that the Greeks and Pythagoreans and all
the other Loeblites haven't dislodged Jesus Grice from JL's implicaturing brain.

Mike Geary
Memphis (with all that that implies)