[lit-ideas] Re: The Seamy Side of Semiotics

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 22:35:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 5/28/08, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One device for stalling for the time while giving the
> appearance of both
> careful thought and profundity in the face of a question to
> which one
> doesn't know the answer (but should) is now lost us:
> the tobacco pipe
> and its grave preparatory rituals. Many students, I'll
> bet have never
> seen this performed correctly.

Heh, every Philosophy student in Helsinki U at least used to have a tobacco
pipe, and perfecting the rituals is a life long quest. It is fortunate that for
a novice even simple stuffing is a time consuming process, and unfortunate that
the more novice you are the more you have the think about what you are doing
with your hands.

As a health-concious alternative: I recall a dialogue by Heidegger with a
Japanese philosopher in a garden. Even if I can't recall the question, the
answer "I have to think about it" followed by ten minutes of walking in silence
was most charming.

Perhaps students should be taught that not all silences are awkward.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki,
Finland