[lit-ideas] Re: The Other Side Of Hopkins

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:07:50 -0800

On Nov 29, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

Ah, yes, this is the mind-set I was raised in. The physical world is an evil that pulls us away from adoration of God and the quest for spiritual perfection. Our souls are restless until they rest in Thee, O Lord. Things changed for me. I think they changed for Gerard as well -- certainly not as radically as they did for me. He began to see that the physical world as a mirror of the grandeur of God. I began to see it as God.

Who knows why this came in response to your fine words?

Non-monastic chanting, dreamlike, distant, as from some insistent wound-up crowd's demand, far louder than the usual sand prophet's whisper (of which I've heard a few), "Vote a god for Geary, do." I have no idea what these sounds could be about except protest of business and the world's wooden turning. They carry resonance of the sixties, but empty it like ordure into a moat without, which is to say outside meaning; DADA doodoo poo dookie dump caca in wa wa.
That's about as far as things go, now, tonight.
Silence answers, as then, as it so often has.
Alarms will start tomorrow,
and we'll work together to diminish Monday's wake's surge,
also global warming.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon