[lit-ideas] Re: The Other Side Of Hopkins

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:07:23 -0600

DR:
"Vote a god for Geary, do."

This is the God I hope you vote me.  I don't know her name.  I saw her only
once, It was about 30 years ago on a wonderful autumn afternoon.  I was working
on an outside walk-in cooler in Overton Square.  Two women came out of
Friday's, they were laughing in buzz-delight as they walked to their car in the
parking lot.  I was standing on top of the walk-in watching them.  When the one
I want to win opened the car door, she threw her arms out to embrace the world
and let loose the loveliest sound I've ever heard.  Her voice was as powerful
as Callas's, it filled the city, filled the whole afternoon: "Give me the beat,
boys, and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift
away."   Now, Dobie Gray's version is good, don't get me wrong, but it can't
compare to the intensity and urgency and ache in that woman's supremely
sonorous voice.

Yes, I said, I do believe. Yes.

Mike Geary
Memphis.
PS -- if you don't remember the song Drift Away here's Uncle Kracker's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYWtEoen_1E