[lit-ideas] Re: The Other Side Of Hopkins

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:05:22 -0800

On Nov 30, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Mike Geary wrote:

DR:
"Vote a god for Geary, do."

This is the God I hope you vote me. I don't know her name. I saw her only once, It was about 30 years ago on a wonderful autumn afternoon. I was working on an outside walk-in cooler in Overton Square. Two women came out of Friday's, they were laughing in buzz- delight as they walked to their car in the parking lot. I was standing on top of the walk-in watching them. When the one I want to win opened the car door, she threw her arms out to embrace the world and let loose the loveliest sound I've ever heard. Her voice was as powerful as Callas's, it filled the city, filled the whole afternoon: "Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away." Now, Dobie Gray's version is good, don't get me wrong, but it can't compare to the intensity and urgency and ache in that woman's supremely sonorous voice.

Yes, I said, I do believe. Yes.

I popped down to the polling center just now to see how it's tracking. Though we're early yet, there are some quite promising figures--and voices--coming out.

Good luck,

David Ritchie,
Commissioner of Oaths and Swearing