[lit-ideas] The Other Side of Anthony Hopkins (The Right One)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:58:44 EST

In a message dated 11/30/2009 12:03:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I think  they changed for Gerard as well

---- In "Anthology of Homosexual Verse", appropriately edited by one
Stephen Coote (cfr. "queer as a coot"), he (Stephen Coote, in An Anthology of
Gay Verse, Penguin) includes Gerard's odd poem written in Ireland as he
entered  the church there.

He was born in Basildon, Essex, or rather, Stratford, Essex, but is mainly
considered an Irish poet.

He invented sprung rhyme, and Geary has it right: his Catholicism was not
too radical, etc.

Anthony Hopkins (Sir) is revered in Argentina. He came with his furrin wife
 (Oriental, I think -- don't you hate it that furriners like me can use
politically incorrect lingo, like "oriental" with an, er, straight face?) to
film a film in Argentina. The film was a flop, "The Arsehole of the World"
the  title was, and filmed not far from my birthplace, for what it's worth.

"for what it's worth" is one Odd Gearicism ("Surely all things are worth
_something_, making the idiom redundant if not otiosely otiose).

JLS