[lit-ideas] Re: The Leftist Claim

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:45:57 +0000

Do you intend to sound like an idiot Simon?  Or do you just commit pratfall
after pratfall by accident?  Are you retarded?  Should we feel sorry for you?

Notice, Simon who sounds like an idiot  the note you quote below.   Read it.
You quoted it down below.  Look down the page.

Notice that I said the 125-200 Islamists exceed all the Communist and Nazi
PARTY MEMBERS who ever lived.  You didn't read that far, Simon, did you?  You
turned "PARTY MEMBERS" into the NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN THE SOVIET UNION because
you didn't want to read the whole sentence.

And then to compound your idiocy you tell ME I'm wearing no clothes and it's
becoming embarrassing.   I'll agree with the last clause in that sentence.  It
truly is.

Lawrence

From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, Sep-28-2007 1:40 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The Leftist Claim
So we should all become republicans during the span of this 'war against
terror'. Or worse, perhaps, we need to be 'neos'.

And how does 125 to 200 million exceed the number of people in the former
Soviet Union? Is this a case of the neos revising mathematics?

Lawrence, you are wearing no clothes and it's becoming awfully embarrassing. Go
away and take a long look in the mirror.

Simon

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, Sep-27-2007 10:53 PM

LH:
>>"Of course, the claim was that most such people were neither pro-Saddam
>>nor anti-American: all they wanted was to 'give peace a chance.'<<

No. Lawrence, opposition to this war is not a peacenik campaign, what the
world and the Americans who oppose the war in Iraq want most is that our
country not kill hundreds of thousands of people for Exxon (as Greenspan now
confirms was the rationale behind all this slaughter), or to establish a
puppet government that would allow military bases in support of our imperial
ambitions (we tried that in Iran in the 50's, if you remember, when we
brought down Mossadegh because he wanted to nationalize the oil industry).
.

>>Though hatred of America may not have been universal among opponents of
>>American military action, it was obviously very widespread and very
>>deep.<<

Nonsense.  I have yet to meet an American opponent of this war or of the one
we waged in Vietnam (and I've known very many) who hated America.  In fact,
it's been their love of the ideals of America that have brought them to
oppose these wars. The only hostility I've ever heard in my 45 years of
protesting was hostility towards policies of our government that
contradicted those ideals.  That rhetoric gets charged when you're speaking
of killing people (and almost always innocent people) doesn't surprise me.
I've said some very hateful things about Bush, but Bush is 'Bush Policy' to
me, not the man of whom I have no way of personally assessing.  His policies
I have judged to be inimical to the ideals and best interest of the United
States and dangerous to the World.  Podhoretz obviously thinks differently
as do almost all of the people you quote and they have every right to think
as they do and to advocate their thoughts as broadly and vociferously as
they can.  They have their values, I have mine.  I think mine are better for
humanity and the United States than theirs.  In fact, nothing I've ever read
from the conservative camp has ever caused me to question my convictions.  I
wish there had been some quibble somewhere along the line so that I wouldn't
wonder if I'm just a close-minded bigot --  naw, no way.

Mike Geary
Memphis