[lit-ideas] Re: The Leftist Claim

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:40:09 +0100

So we should all become republicans during the span of this 'war against
terror'. Or worse, perhaps, we need to be 'neos'.

And how does 125 to 200 million exceed the number of people in the former
Soviet Union? Is this a case of the neos revising mathematics?

Lawrence, you are wearing no clothes and it's becoming awfully embarrassing. Go
away and take a long look in the mirror.

Simon

  From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Thu, Sep-27-2007 10:53 PM

  LH:
  >>"Of course, the claim was that most such people were neither pro-Saddam
  >>nor anti-American: all they wanted was to 'give peace a chance.'<<

  No. Lawrence, opposition to this war is not a peacenik campaign, what the
  world and the Americans who oppose the war in Iraq want most is that our
  country not kill hundreds of thousands of people for Exxon (as Greenspan now
  confirms was the rationale behind all this slaughter), or to establish a
  puppet government that would allow military bases in support of our imperial
  ambitions (we tried that in Iran in the 50's, if you remember, when we
  brought down Mossadegh because he wanted to nationalize the oil industry).
  .

  >>Though hatred of America may not have been universal among opponents of
  >>American military action, it was obviously very widespread and very
  >>deep.<<

  Nonsense.  I have yet to meet an American opponent of this war or of the one
  we waged in Vietnam (and I've known very many) who hated America.  In fact,
  it's been their love of the ideals of America that have brought them to
  oppose these wars. The only hostility I've ever heard in my 45 years of
  protesting was hostility towards policies of our government that
  contradicted those ideals.  That rhetoric gets charged when you're speaking
  of killing people (and almost always innocent people) doesn't surprise me.
  I've said some very hateful things about Bush, but Bush is 'Bush Policy' to
  me, not the man of whom I have no way of personally assessing.  His policies
  I have judged to be inimical to the ideals and best interest of the United
  States and dangerous to the World.  Podhoretz obviously thinks differently
  as do almost all of the people you quote and they have every right to think
  as they do and to advocate their thoughts as broadly and vociferously as
  they can.  They have their values, I have mine.  I think mine are better for
  humanity and the United States than theirs.  In fact, nothing I've ever read
  from the conservative camp has ever caused me to question my convictions.  I
  wish there had been some quibble somewhere along the line so that I wouldn't
  wonder if I'm just a close-minded bigot --  naw, no way.

  Mike Geary
  Memphis