[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday POEM

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:51:48 +0000

Walter:

As I wrote my note I was aware that I was being general and mythic and thus
open to misunderstanding and nitpicking, but if that's what you're doing,
you'll have to be more specific.  I don't see your point.

Paleoanthropology is one of my subjects -- also genetics as pertains to early
man and the movement of human societies.  So I'm somewhat current on the latest
theories about what man was doing through 99% of his prehistory.  Matters I
studied in those sciences informed my comments somewhat.

Another of my subjects is Poetry although I'm not current on poets in the last
40 years or so.  I read Yevgeny Yevtushenko years ago and don't have any of his
poetry here, but my impression is that he was primarily a political poet.  So
what does he have to do with a grand passion?  If he wrote something on that, I
don't recall it.

I read Sigmund Freud's Totem and Taboo back in the 40s but don't recall it
vividly.

I read Origin of Species in 1958, but if there was something in it about what
attacks men to women and vice versa I don't recall it.

I have heard Roy Orbison's songs.  He was a pitiful fellow who didn't do well
in his relationships as I recall.

I haven't seen Casablanca recently.  Perhaps Ilsa and Rick had grand passions
for each.  Their passion was rendered unrequited through circumstances.  I was
assuming in my previous note "unrequited grand passion" which was the
applicable element in Mike's poem -- as I understood it.  So to take something
I said and apply it more broadly isn't an application I'm likely to support,
but more in the nature of a quibble -- which I'm not saying you are doing
inasmuch as I have no idea what you're doing.

I have not read Dennett or Dawkins and probably am not likely to.

I haven't seen Rear Window in ages.  Maybe it has something to do with
relationships, but my recollection of it doesn't relate it well to Mike's poem;
which, after all, my comments were exclusively pertaining to.

Lawrence

From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Sep-24-2007 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [lit-ideas] Re: Sunday POEM

I strongly recommend the following texts:

1. *Breaking the spell*, Daniel Dennett
2. *The blind watchmaker*, Richard Dawkins
3. *The origin of species*, Charles Darwin
4. *The extended phenotype*, Richard Dawkins
5. *Casablanca*, film with Humphrey Bogart et al
6. All songs by Roy Orbison (some more than others)
7. *Groundwerk of the Metaphysics of Morals*, Immanuel Kant
8. All poems by Yvengeny Yevtushenko
9. Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
10. Universal Declaration of the Rights of [Persons]
11. *I think I'm going back* and "The look of love* by Dusty Springfield
12. *Totem and Taboo*, Ziggie Freud
13. *Rear Window*, film by A. Hitchcock

Cheers,

Walter O.