[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday POEM

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:07:37 -0500

Lawrence Helm wrote:

Thanks to my misreading of Julie's note, I have found myself thinking about Mike's poem all morning. If we examine the way our species developed, we see that in general, men selected women for their beauty and women selected men for their ability to take care of them. Perhaps then, the grand passions have typically belonged to men rather than women because look there: isn't she beautiful? Isn't she perfectly wonderful (meaning beautiful in movement and speech)? Think of all the grand-passion love poetry written by men. What of the objects of their passion? Did any of those women write poetry? No, of course not. They were beautiful. They didn't need to.

If you want a real laugh about men and women I would recommend the book THE MANIPULATED MAN. It's by Esther Vilar. Actually quite funny. She's an anti-feminist. She says women have ALWAYS been in charge, it's just that men are so stupid that they don't realize it. Men think they are in charge when they work themselves to death for women.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA