[lit-ideas] Re: Straight ahead is the front zone...

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 03 Jul 2004 16:54:57 PDT

1) Has the prose ever been this weird, or has the work recently been re-written
by underemployed military/industrial complex sociologists?

2) Has anyone on this list ever managed to read the whole book?

3) Does this help explain anything?

4) What?

According to my current license, I first passed the written exam and the road
test (or whatever) to get an Oregon driver's license in 1948. We didn't study no
fictitious zones only the shapes of various signs, the rules for overtaking and
passing, etc. I took driver's ed in high school, in 1947 Chevrolet couple with
dual brakes and clutch. The instructor (the football coach) could simply stop us
in our tracks if we were headed for disaster. He was, given the circumstances, a
very calm man.

Obviously, since then the State has hired some experts, and paid them big money
to make driving into a rigorous science. Are would-be drivers tested on their
mastery of this jargon as well as on how they do iwhen they're steering high in
the field?

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute