[lit-ideas] Re: Straight ahead is the front zone...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:16:55 -0700

on 7/3/04 4:54 PM, Robert Paul at Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 Are would-be drivers tested on their
> mastery of this jargon as well as on how they do iwhen they're steering high
> in
> the field?

Because we dallied in Vancouver, chatting with the curious and the fey, we
arrived back in Portland after Emily's driver's ed. lesson.  She was offered
two alternatives: attend traffic school for a day, or answer the questions
that follow two chapters in this unreadable book.  Since the delay was
partly my fault and since I couldn't reasonably enlist the aid of
co-conspirators Straker and Savory, Emily and I of us struggled yester eve
with the following tricky issues:

Think Critically
Write a paragraph to answer each question.
1) Explain what it means to develp the art of scanning.  Why is scanning
important?
2) What is the relationship between the IPDE Process, the Zone Control
System and the Smith System?

We considered responding that without scanning the modern supermarket system
probably wouldn't work, and that digital images, once scanned, are
"excellent" in the true Bill and Ted sense, but instead we played with a
straight bat and bullshitted.  When it came to question two's relationshipe
"between" three items, however, I was sorely tried.  Sorely.

And then there was a vocabulary review list:

Define:

open zone
peripheral vision
separate the hazards
zone
target area range
central vision
field of vision

The following chapter also had one of these lists:

active device
friction
tread
total stopping distance
center of gravity

An "active device" is one that calls for the attention of the bomb squad.

The critical thinking questions were:

Explain the relationship between traction and the amount of air in a
vehicle's tires.  Use the terms "underinflation" and "overinfation"... but
not "Alan Greenspan."

Discuss how speed, sharpness of curve, and your car's load affect how you
control your vehicle in the curve.  Why are banked curves often beneficial?

Aren't you glad you passed in 1948?

David Ritchie
Banking all his best curves in
Portland, Oregon