[lit-ideas] Re: Straight ahead is the front zone...

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 14:02:48 -0400

Okay, well, fine.  I also failed for speeding.

But it was only _technically_ speeding.

See, you know how there's that unwritten rule that when making a left turn, on
an amber light, the first two cars waiting to turn are allowed to go before the
light changes to read completely?

Okay, well you might not know that unwritten rule if you don't live in Canada,
but here in Toronto it's common knowledge.

Anyway, there's another unwritten rule where if you're going over the speed
limit by 10/km, that it's only "technically" speeding, but not really speeding
speeding, that is, you won't get a speeding ticket for it.

Apparently 10/kn over the speed limit during a _driving test_ however, is
considered speeding in every possible sense of the term.  Nobody told me this.

So it was the judgment call and the technical speeding thing that did me in.

And I totally hear ya on the mirror checking.  I made a point of doing that
too.  Of course, if you're "technically speeding" or "impeding traffic" it
doesn't really matter if you check your mirrors.

Oh yeah, and my parking break didn't work.  Who the hell uses that thing
anyway?  I didn't even know what a parking break _was_ until I found out that
mine didn't work, during that final driving test, of course.  Does anyone out
there really use that thing?  What does it do anyway?

Erin

Erin