[lit-ideas] Re: Stenka Rasin

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:00:16 -0230

Quoting Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>:

> WO: Very, very rarely do I find that the
> translation of a sentence from one of these
> languages to another is either
> impossible or is severely distortive of the sense
> of the original text.
>

> That's because you have a philosophical style of
> mind. If instead you were a poet or a comedian,
> you would discover a world of wordplay, allusion,
> and metareference that does not survive translation.
>
> To pick one famous example, why is Nabokov's
> _Onegin_ so lumbering?
>

> Yours,
> Stanky Yadium

My wife doesn't permit me to read Nabokov. Does Onyegin lumber because he is
very old?

With reference to your putative contra-factual conditional: one of my
self-imposed professional responsibilities each academic year is to teach at
least one required undergrad course in Philosophy of Education to pre-service
teachers. I have been doing that for approx. 20 years now. Now *that's*
translation, folks.

P.S. "Stanky Yadium"? Ya nye ponimayu chto vi skazalye zdes. Does he play on a
line with Kovalev and Koivu?

Walter O.
Tom Stoppard Chair of Aristotelian Comedy
Department of Metaphysical Jokes, Skits and Ephemera
Borscht Belt University College
Hollywood, California