[lit-ideas] Re: Speranza, "Lasciate Ogni Speranza Voi Ch'e Entrate"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 02:40:38 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2010 11:51:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

It  doesn't seem to me that it was an actual
gate (something that could be  opened and shut), but that is only a guess

----

Right. It _is_ odd. "Porta" has various meanings. Oddly, in the  masculine,
"porto", it is harbour, as in Buenos Ayres (vide "The Road to Buenos
Ayres").

>that could be opened and shut.

Indeed. On the other hand, St. Paul has the keys to heaven. Makes you
wonder indeed which one is the jail.

As Wager notes, "the greatest evil is an imagination", or words to that
effect.

Speranza
   ps. My last post today, so don't provoke me.
              griceclub.blogspot.com