[lit-ideas] Re: Speranza, "Lasciate Ogni Speranza Voi Ch'e Entrate"

  • From: John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:10:26 -0600

jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 1/24/2010 4:14:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jwager@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

    My ethics gradebook has a cover illustration of the "gate" to
    Inferno,
    with a slight change in wording:
    "Abandon all hope, ye who are entered here."

It seems contradictory to me to have that grandiose sounding motto in a DOOR-LESS gate. I'm getting more and more familiar with the gated-communities, which I hate. And I am told 'gated' is a misnomer _there_. They are jails!
Dante's main insight, I think, is that "hell" is not a punishment. It's NOT a jail. The ONLY thing keeping someone there is their lack of hope; they have some serious flaw and no hope of changing. So no "gate" is needed; you keep yourself in the hell of your own making. (This comes, I think, from Aquinas' view of the lack of reality of evil, which is an absence of something that ought to be there and is not.