[lit-ideas] Re: Speranza, "Lasciate Ogni Speranza Voi Ch'e Entrate"

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:50:35 -0800

Good. So we need to KNOW what word he used for "gate".

Portale?
It's "porta celeste" for heaven-gate. So it should be "porta infernale" for the other end, right? JLS

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

        Queste parole di colore oscuro
        vid'io scritte al sommo d'una porta;
        per ch'io: Maestro, il senso lor m'è duro...

Various English translations of 'porta' yield 'gateway,' 'on the arch above the gate.' and so on. It doesn't seem to me that it was an actual gate (something that could be opened and shut), but that is only a guess based on my explorations of the Carlsbad Caverns.

Robert Paul