[lit-ideas] Softies

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:36:45 -0400

At 10:29 AM 8/28/2006, you wrote:

Perhaps it's a little like the "veit" and "beit" in Hebrew? Or the subtle difference in the way Latin Americans and Spaniards say "veces"?

When linguists speak of a hard or soft sound, they are usually (for English) talking about C and G, and sometimes J -- although I'm not sure there are any soft js in non-filched English words.

But there are only a certain number of 'sounds' and a soft 'c' is just an 's', a soft 'g' is a 'j' and a soft 'j' is a 'y'. I can't think of what a soft 't' would be. The closest I can think is when it is used as a 'sh' sound as in 'libation'. But that's a totally different sound that is almost completely dependent on the "io" following.

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada