[lit-ideas] Re: Softies

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:21:22 -0500

Speaking of phonemes and graphemes in English, I'm reminded of the old antiphonetic joke: "How do you pronounce 'ghoti'? Be advised, if you're a sensitive linguist, you might find the following offensive.

It's pronounced "fish". You take the 'gh' from 'enough', there's your /f/, take the 'o' from 'women', there's your /i/ and take the 'ti' from 'nation', there's your /sh/ -- fish.

Mike Geary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stone" <pas@xxxxxxxx>