[lit-ideas] Re: Softies

  • From: jimkandjulieb@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:46:54 -0400

'tz'?

-----Original Message-----
From: pas@xxxxxxxx
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 9:36 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Softies

At 10:29 AM 8/28/2006, you wrote:
>Perhaps it's a little like the "veit" and "beit" in Hebrew? Or the subtle
>>difference in the way Latin Americans and Spaniards say "veces"?

When linguists speak of a hard or soft sound, they are usually (for English)
talking about C and G, and sometimes J -- although I'm not sure there are any
soft js in non-filched English words.

But there are only a certain number of 'sounds' and a soft 'c' is just an 's',
a soft 'g' is a 'j' and a soft 'j' is a 'y'. I can't think of what a soft 't'
would be. The closest I can think is when it is used as a 'sh' sound as in
'libation'. But that's a totally different sound that is almost completely
dependent on the "io" following.

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx