[lit-ideas] Re: SOS: Autonomical risk

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:19:13 -0500

If autonomy vs community is a question close to your heart -- it is mine --
then you'll get a kick out of reading Rorty's _Contingency, irony, and
solidarity_.

Mike Geary
Memphis

P.S.  Fool that I am I ordered this stupid Taylor book which I know I'll never
read more that 10 paragraphs of and I could have had 4 six packs of Guiness
instead.  Damn it all, I hate this list.

  From: Omar Kusturica

  --- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  > I'm not sure whether Charles Taylor cares about the

  > "autonomy" of the modern

  > self,

  *Apparently he is quite concerned with that. See:

  http://members.aol.com/ThryWoman/CTCE.html

  The general thrust of Turner's ideas are set against

  the narrative of Western intellectual thought,

  particularly concerning the ideas of Autonomy and

  Morality. Modernist philosophers have placed Reason,

  Autonomy and rule-governed/rights-based morality at

  the center of what is considered to be a "good life."

  What has been taken to issue by many theorists in the

  19th and 20th Centuries is the harmful aspects of

  these grand ideas. Reason was chipped away at by the

  increasing bureaucratization and military

  technologies/methods of killing, Autonomy considered

  to be not only a bourgeois luxury but a naive

  understanding of what the individual is in society,

  and moralities based on rights and fundamentally,

  rules, had been criticized for being anything but

  moral by doing away with morality founded from (and

  maintained) within individuals. It is at this

  dissolution/disillusion that Taylor enters the scene.

    Charles Taylor continues the effort to question the

  authority of Reason and Autonomy. By this, I mean to

  state that Reason and Autonomy have been given the the

  authority to be the only goods in life and thus

  ignoring the other facets of what Turner and

  contemporaries would consider "the good life."

  Fundamental to modernist thinking is the use of

  dichotomies that arbitrarily polarizes fragments of

  human existence and ways of knowing. Typical examples

  can be thrown out easily (for we all know the game)

  such as Reason/Intuition, Light/Dark, Male /Female,

  Individual/Community, etc,. In the West, the dichotomy

  was used as a way to regulate and steer society into a

  "morality" and fetishization of laws based on Reason

  and Autonomy. As many theorists have pointed out, the

  belief in an existent/coherent notion of Reason and

  Autonomy (that is privileged in the West) can exist

  only against the categories of the Irrational and

  Community (society). The standards (Reason, Autonomy,

  and rights based on the two) are given the authority

  to decide what does and does not matter. "Mattering",

  especially for Taylor, is an important aspect of

  ethics when considering what is "the good life."1 It

  is in this consideration that Taylor begins to

  re-evaluate the values that the have been the

  foundation of Western thought and society.