[lit-ideas] Re: SOS: Autonomical risk -- Rorty

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:55:08 -0500

Of course I know you'll never look at Rorty on my recommendation so here's a portion of a review by Ian Johnson entitled: "Losing One's Cherry: Reactions to Rorty's _Contingency, irony, and solidarity" http://www.mala.bc.ca/~johnstoi/introser/rorty.htm

"On the basis of this view of language, Rorty then, in some of the most interesting sections of the book, especially for those unfamiliar with his earlier writings, goes on to describe the modern intellectual, the "liberal ironist," someone who accepts the contingency of language, the contingency of selfhood, and the contingency of community. For the liberal ironist, a sense of one's individual identity comes through a re-creation which emancipates one from the tyranny of one's ancestors, through the creation of a "final language," a process which, though it inevitably starts with what tradition provides, develops one's own unique tool and "somehow makes tangible the blind impress all one's behavings bear" (29). Following Harold Bloom, whose image of the Strong Poet, "the person who uses words as they have never before been used, [and who] is best able to appreciate her own contingency" (28) Rorty warmly endorses, he sees the liberal ironist as horrified by the prospect of having to surrender to someone else's system and thus driven to seek the means to the Nietzschean affirmation: "Thus I willed it." Such self-creation is a private affair and takes place in a realm hermetically sealed from one's public life. On this point Rorty is repetitively emphatic:
Ironists should reconcile themselves to a private-public split within their final vocabularies, to the fact that resolution of doubts about one's final vocabulary has nothing to do with attempts to save other people from pain and humiliation. . . . We should stop trying to combine self-creation and politics, especially if we are liberals. The part of a liberal ironist's final vocabulary which has to do with public action is never going to get subsumed under, or subsume, the rest of her final vocabulary. (120)
Finding new descriptions of the truth of oneself may, moreover, have odd results. Only luck will determine whether or not the new private language will indicate genius, perversity, or eccentricity, will, that is, "also strike the next generation as inevitable" so that "Their behavings will bear that impress" (29) or suffer rejection and pass into instant oblivion.
"The commitment to self-creation is not, however, confined to intellectual types. Thanks to Freud, we now understand that no matter how dull, unimaginative, or merely decent we may appear on the surface, on the couch "every human life . . . [is] a poem--or, more exactly, every human life not so racked by pain as to be unable to learn a language nor so immersed in toil as to have no leisure in which to generate a self-description" (35). No particular self-definition, no matter how private, fantastic, or idiosyncratic, has any special privilege. In a view that at times comes close to the sort of essentialism Rorty emphatically repudiates, he insists that all methods of self-creation are equally expressive of human nature, and all are part of the innate human desire to poeticize life anew and thus represent the "final victory of poetry in its ancient quarrel with philosophy--the final victory of metaphors of self-creation over metaphors of discovery" (40). For, as Rorty has pointed out in his earlier writings and as he stresses here, the proper role of philosophy in the world of the liberal ironist is to assist in the creation of private self-definitions. Philosophy cannot edify us about the state of our knowledge of external reality or our moral responsibilities; it can however, in some cases assist our therapeutic fantasies: "within our increasingly ironist culture, philosophy has become more important for the pursuit of private perfection rather than for any social task" (94). This is the case because "the relation between the intellectual and moral virtues [is] . . . contingent" (111), although elsewhere Rorty does seem to allow for a more public role for philosophy: "philosophy is one of the techniques for reweaving our vocabulary of moral deliberation in order to accommodate new beliefs, (e.g., that women and blacks are capable of more than white males had thought, that property is not sacred, that sexual matters are of merely private concern)" (196).
So much for the self. What, then, for society? In a world of contingency and private self-creation, what does the modern liberal ironist hope for her community? Rorty begins by appropriating Judith Shklar's definition of liberals as "people who think that cruelty is the worst thing we do." Liberal ironists, therefore, are those who "have abandoned the idea that [their] central beliefs and desires refer back to something beyond the reach of time and chance" and "who include among these ungroundable desires their own hope that suffering will be diminished, that the humiliation of human beings by other human beings may cease" (xv). And that is essentially all that one requires in the way of a social theory: Rorty urges that "liberal political discourse would do well to remain . . . untheoretical and simpleminded" (121). Given the imperative human need (the "blind impress") for private self-creation, Rorty urges a redescription of liberalism which will substitute "the hope that chances for fulfilment of idiosyncratic fantasies will be equalized for the hope that everyone will replace 'passion' or fantasy with 'reason'" (53). Such a substitution is appropriate, in Rorty's view, because Horkheimer and Adorno, among others, have exposed the Enlightenment project as just "one more vocabulary, one more description, one more way of speaking" (57). Consequently, since we are left with no means to justify our beliefs which is not circular, we should simply give up trying to defend liberalism by an appeal to ahistorical criteria and "regard the justification of liberal society simply as a matter of historical comparison with other attempts at social organization--those of the past and those envisaged by utopians" (53).
"Defining his moral position in this manner brings Rorty inevitably up against Foucault and Habermas, and Rorty's attempt to tread a clear path between the two is, as usual, particularly stimulating and revealing. For what emerges most clearly from the discussion is Rorty's unflagging cheerfulness, his optimistic American faith (some will call it naiveté or timidity, others something more sinister) that "contemporary liberal society already contains the institutions for its own improvement" (63). Thus, for Rorty, Foucault worries too much about the constraints liberal societies impose upon their members, and Habermas is too concerned about the effects of removing metaphysics from political life, too "afraid of the sort of 'romantic' overthrow of establish institutions exemplified by Hitler and Mao" (66). In any case, Foucault's desire to escape constraints is "not the sort of thing that could ever be embodied in social institutions" (65). That desire, for Rorty, belongs firmly in the private realm, "in order to prevent yourself from slipping into a political attitude which will lead you to think that there is some social goal more important than avoiding cruelty" (65). Habermas's problem is that he is not ironist enough to appreciate that the political implications are not central to a philosophical view and that liberal political freedoms do not "require some consensus about what is universally human" (84). Rorty sees himself and Habermas as sharing common social goals and the disagreement between them as "merely philosophical" (67). Others, however, may well see significant political implications in the difference.
"More than anything else in Contingency, irony, and solidarity, the discussion of Foucault and Habermas calls into question the adequacy of Rorty's social vision. The attempt to deal with Foucault's suspicion of liberal institutions and Habermas's fear of irrationalism in politics makes one wonder about the extent to which Rorty is willing ever to qualify his cheerful sense of contingency and his optimistic faith in our ability to work through existing institutions with hard evidence. Is it, for example, enough to say that "one's hopes for one's grandchildren" will act as a sufficient guide, will provide, that is, a significant amount of social glue (85)? At a time when, even in Virginia, the disintegration of family life is central to the major problems of many communities, such a claim comes close to Abbie Hoffman's satirical gibe at liberal rhetoric: "God is dead, honey. We did it for the kids." Rorty invokes the traditional liberal's hope for a society in which "the press, the judiciary, the elections, and the universities are free, social mobility is frequent and rapid, literacy is universal, higher education is common, and peace and wealth have made possible the leisure necessary to listen to lots of different people and think about what they say" (84). Furthermore, he insists that "There are practical measures to be taken to accomplish this practical goal" (xiv). But there is a singular lack of practical suggestions in the book. Nor, for all his protests against evils in the world, does Rorty direct any close attention to particular examples of precisely those issues which Foucault and Habermas, with, one must admit, considerable historical justification, see all around them. Indeed, in lumping Foucault with Nietzsche and Derrida, placing him in the world of private self-creation, and judging his work "pretty much useless when it comes to politics" (83), Rorty overlooks the vital centre of Foucault's whole endeavour: his political activism, which Foucault describes as "the most crucial subject to our existence, that is to say the society in which we live, the economic relations within which it functions, and the system of power which defines the regular forms and regular permissions and prohibitions of our conduct. The essence of our life consists, after all, of the political functioning of the society in which we find ourselves" (168).
"Inevitably, then, the question arises about the extent to which Rorty's argument may be a case of special pleading. After all, if the ironic power of history goes all the way down, far enough to dissolve Habermas's desire for intersubjective communicative reason, then why make a stand on, say, self-creation and the avoidance of cruelty as the twin pillars of a liberal ironist culture? To what extent, in other words, is Rorty's case essentially an endorsement of an existing situation which provides, among other things, plenty of affluent leisure time for professors of philosophy or humanities? Rorty happily admits that he can find no non-circular arguments in defense of his views, but the fact that he takes a stand where he does invites the common accusation that his position is little more than an enthusiastic endorsement of the status quo, a polemic which decertifies both traditional accounts of a universal basis for a thoroughgoing social critique and modern attempts by critical theorists or political anarchists to explore the extent to which the life of private self-creation is itself a product of forces which oppress. Rorty points out that there is an inherent tension between the demands of our private lives and our public obligation to minimize cruelty and that we may often face competing claims from different groups to which we belong, but he insists that there is no final vocabulary which will assist us in adjudicating such claims nor any point in seeking to create one. Nevertheless, with contingency in one hand and pragmatism in the other, he is determined to hang onto the private life of self-creation and the simplest possible formulation of liberal ideology in the face of all opposition. The tactic does encourage one to question why we should assign such importance that particular view of human priorities, itself a product of contingent historical forces and by no means as universally acceptable as Rorty implies. As Hutchinson observes, there is considerable irony in the fact that "the philosopher of contingency should throw his theoretical weight behind a particular and contested form of politics. . . ."

All to which I agree.  : )
Mike Geary