[lit-ideas] Re: SOS: Autonomical risk

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:41:17 EDT

Reward yourself with the 4 six-packs of Guiness when you've finished  reading
the book.  Or one six-pack for each fourth of the book you get  through.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: SOS: Autonomical
risk  Date: 5/20/06 1:25:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If autonomy vs community is a question close to  your heart -- it is mine --
then you'll get a kick out of reading Rorty's  _Contingency, irony, and
solidarity_.

Mike Geary
Memphis

P.S.  Fool that I am I ordered this stupid  Taylor book which I know I'll
never read more that 10 paragraphs of and I could  have had 4 six packs of
Guiness instead.  Damn it all, I hate this  list.

From: Omar  Kusturica

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> I'm not sure whether Charles Taylor cares about  the
> "autonomy" of the modern
> self,
*Apparently he is quite concerned with that.  See:
_http://members.aol.com/ThryWoman/CTCE.html_
(http://members.aol.com/ThryWoman/CTCE.html)
The general thrust of Turner's ideas are set  against
the narrative of Western intellectual  thought,
particularly concerning the ideas of Autonomy  and
Morality. Modernist philosophers have placed  Reason,
Autonomy and rule-governed/rights-based morality  at
the center of what is considered to be a "good  life."
What has been taken to issue by many theorists in  the
19th and 20th Centuries is the harmful aspects  of
these grand ideas. Reason was chipped away at by  the
increasing bureaucratization and  military
technologies/methods of killing, Autonomy  considered
to be not only a bourgeois luxury but a  naive
understanding of what the individual is in  society,
and moralities based on rights and  fundamentally,
rules, had been criticized for being anything  but
moral by doing away with morality founded from  (and
maintained) within individuals. It is at  this
dissolution/disillusion that Taylor enters the scene.
Charles Taylor continues the effort to question  the
authority of Reason and Autonomy. By this, I mean  to
state that Reason and Autonomy have been given the  the
authority to be the only goods in life and  thus
ignoring the other facets of what Turner  and
contemporaries would consider "the good  life."
Fundamental to modernist thinking is the use  of
dichotomies that arbitrarily polarizes fragments  of
human existence and ways of knowing. Typical  examples
can be thrown out easily (for we all know the  game)
such as Reason/Intuition, Light/Dark, Male  /Female,
Individual/Community, etc,. In the West, the  dichotomy
was used as a way to regulate and steer society into  a
"morality" and fetishization of laws based on  Reason
and Autonomy. As many theorists have pointed out,  the
belief in an existent/coherent notion of Reason  and
Autonomy (that is privileged in the West) can  exist
only against the categories of the Irrational  and
Community (society). The standards (Reason,  Autonomy,
and rights based on the two) are given the  authority
to decide what does and does not matter.  "Mattering",
especially for Taylor, is an important aspect  of
ethics when considering what is "the good life."1  It
is in this consideration that Taylor begins  to
re-evaluate the values that the have been  the
foundation of Western thought and society.