[lit-ideas] Re: "Rejecting" deafness

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 23:40:01 -0700

> There's some fairly nasty ignorance running around on the issue of
> "rejecting" deafness.

ck:
Has anyone been following the Gallaudet U. oral/signing controversy, re
rejecting deafness?

Related...There's a very good, relatively recent documentary about Deaf
Culture, with a focus on cochlear implants (considered by some to be the
ultimate rejection of deafness). I'm not sure of the film's name...Is it
_Sound and Fury_? Maybe _Soundings_? Come on, what's the name? I recommended
it here once before.

A note on ASL: Learning how to read any language is difficult, apparently,
if one relies on ASL, or some other signing language, to the exclusion of
lip-reading (oralism). ASL is more of an affective than a cognitive
language; it's closer to a "whole language" than one with Indo-European
roots. (Ever watch a translating signer carefully? It's not unlike miming,
or acting.) But without the automatic subject-verb-object connection,
reading is a bear.

Carol