[lit-ideas] Re: "Rejecting" deafness

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 01:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A note on ASL: Learning how to read any language is
> difficult, apparently,
> if one relies on ASL, or some other signing
> language, to the exclusion of
> lip-reading (oralism). ASL is more of an affective
> than a cognitive
> language; it's closer to a "whole language" than one
> with Indo-European
> roots. (Ever watch a translating signer carefully?
> It's not unlike miming,
> or acting.) But without the automatic
> subject-verb-object connection,
> reading is a bear.

*I am glad that this thread has finally managed to
distinguish between ESL and ASL. However, I am not
sure about "affective languages" vs. "cognitive
languages," where the latter are apparently the
languages with Indo-European roots. The
non-Indo-European languages that I know about are no
more mimetic than the European languages. Yes, there
is a notion (unfortunately often propounded by the
Chinese themselves) that the Chinese characters are
mimetic, but if you have ever actually tried to read
them you will be very cautious about believing this.
Sign language, too, is not purely mimetic, otherwise
there would be no need to spend years learning it.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com