[lit-ideas] Re: [Re: On the radio (was more polls)

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:21:37 +0000

I'm glad you replied, Steven, as I can see why you thought I was being
frivolous: I hadn't put my post in context (a reply to Carol's "two
mentalities").

SGC> **Yes, you're correct.  Trying to avoid a "chicken little" act, yet
SGC> still concerned form my children's future.  women are about to be
SGC> relegated to the back rooms again -- as the "christian family values,"
SGC> according to right-wing republicans gain ascendancy.

Yes.  Bang goes Roe v. Wade.  And probably, bang go many other things. But (I
didn't want to say this before) if Kerry had won he would have faced and been
held responsible for the economic recession which the US cannot, I think,
avoid; he would have had to keep troops in Iraq (and to ask "the Europeans" to
pony up!); the Republicans would probably have swept back in after the 4
years... It would still have been better if Kerry had won, but...

It is like what we went through with Thatcher then Major but worse as we have
an infrastructure of welfare spending in place, and it is widely supported,
*and*, Thatcher did not support attempts to renege on abortion rights, and, we
didn't really have to put up with the "Christian family values" stuff.

Tony Blair wanted to end his Gulf War II Speech to the Nation with "God bless
you all": his advisers told him not to be silly. Thank goodness.

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx