[lit-ideas] Re: Radical Islam: The Primer

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:52:42 EST

(quick, what color is the most serious  threat level?)
Teal.  Followed secondarily by mauve.

Julie Krueger
preferring azure and lapis

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Radical Islam: The
Primer  Date: 1/9/2007 7:35:07 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_cabrian@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:cabrian@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John, my original premise of having an office  dealing with ideological and
informational warfare instead of Homeland Security  is based on my belief that
the DHS was a mistake from the start.  It added  another black hole in the
yawning bureaucracy of the  intelligence/security/law enforcement alphabet
soup.
They've given us  insipid color coded warning systems (quick, what color is
the most serious  threat level?) and absurd advice (duct tape, anyone) with
little to trumpet as  accomplishments.

So instead of fixing the problems of information flow between, say, CIA and
FBI the big government urge of the Bush administration was to create another
Cabinet level department that we'll never get rid of.  So of course in my
fantasy the alternative office would be handled better and do a thorough job of

informing the American public about the threat we now face.

Brian
Birmingham

On Jan 8, 2007, at 6:25 PM, John McCreery wrote:

What if,  instead of an Office of Homeland Security, the president had
created an  official post that developed a strategy for countering Islamism on
the
ideological front?

Why are these posed as alternatives?

Surely we can agree that both  homeland security and presenting attractive
alternatives to people inclined to  Islamism are worthy goals.

The problem is that if the  implementation of ideological warfare were as
stupidly clumsy and as big a  threat to basic liberties as OHS already is, it,
too, would provide little  more than more evidence that Republicans have good
reason to fear big  government. They don't have a clue how to run  one.

=