[lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:43:24 EST

<<The alternative to a viable  successful government in Iraq isn’t Chaos, it
is three viable  successful governments, or perhaps only two, the Kurds and
the Shias.  The  Sunnis better give up messing around if they want to retain
anything in  Iraq.   >>
I think I finally understand,  Lawrence.  To you, religious fundamentalism is
a good thing.  I'm  starting to understand your perspective.
Julie  Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely
Useful Thought  Date: 1/9/2007 3:24:06 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Andreas:  I went all through  this misunderstanding with Irene.  I said the
Baathist were Militant  Islamics.  They are Militant and they are Islamics.
The threat isn’t  just from religious Militants.  Baathism was intended to
achieve  Pan-Arabism, bringing all the Arab nations under one head.  It was
begun
by  Nassar who was assassinated.  Saddam liked the idea as well.  He was  just
as much of a threat with his Pan-Arabism as Khomeini was with his religious
revolution.  They both wanted the same thing, and then they  fought.
Well yes Militant Islam is a threat  and no we don’t need to leave a viable
successful government in  Iraq.  The alternative to a  viable successful
government in Iraq isn’t Chaos, it is three viable  successful governments,
or
perhaps only two, the Kurds and the Shias.  The  Sunnis better give up messing
around if they want to retain anything in  Iraq.
Pulled into war?  Were any  nations pulled into war when Iran and Iraq fought
for eight years?   No.
As to needing oil.  We don’t  need that oil.  Europe, China, Japan etc needs
it.  We  probably need to make sure those nations get their oil and those
nations count  on us to keep the flow going, but we can do that.  We are the
only
nation  in the world that can project an army-sized fighting force any place
in the  world.  Perhaps Britain is next but they are getting  rid of their
navy. . . .
Yeah, yeah, yeah.  You’ve  already told us how evil Bush is, but you don’t
appreciate how evil Saddam was  and what a danger he represented with his
Baathist Pan-Arab aggressive  plans.  We would not have been better of leaving
him
to his own  devices.
No, our army isn’t broken.  We  could fight another Saddam-Hussein-sized Army
next month if we needed to.   What we couldn’t do is spend another three
years or perhaps even three months  trying to rebuild an Iraq-sized nation.  It
is
the latter thing we can’t do  not the former.
Lawrence