[lit-ideas] Re: Providing a fair wine and tasting

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:56:58 -0500

A.A. Unsilly perhaps, but not exactly pro-consumer or pro-earth either.

what the Hell does "pro-Earth" mean? Another blatantly empty term.

A.A. What's stupid? You'd prefer that organic means anything anyone wants it to mean?

THAT's exactly what the USDA has done -- it's made it mean anything that anyone wants it to mean. Anyone = the USDA.

You are a good Republican.

I'm NOT a Republican -- and quit calling me that. It's an insult.

People have no idea what it is they're opposing when they oppose regulation, standardization, definition.

who are these "people"?

Regulation, standardization, definition means that when you buy ketchup, it has a minimum amount of tomatoes instead of cornstarch and flavoring/coloring. It means that whole milk has a certain minimum of milk fat; etc. etc... It means that you don't have to watch you step (literally) everywhere you go because all curbs are the same height, all step risers are the same height, foundations are a minimum certain depth so your house doesn't fall over, etc. etc.

Except... they keep changing the 'standards' because of lobby groups.

Imagine a world without regulation, definition, standardization, Paul. I suspect it's not a world you'd prefer.

oh, but you're wrong... it would be so much more exciting and this is where I'm SOOOOO not a Republican.

BTW, a lot of the standards are set by the U.N.

fuck the U.N.

They then filter down to the U.S. government, then more local governments.

yeah... those unoriginal, overpaid, unthinking "globalizers".

Before regulation people had to depend on people like Duncan Hines who would write about dirty (due to no regulations) restaurants and motels and praise the cleaner ones. Or by products getting the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. Now we have inspectors so you're pretty safe in most diners, most motels, etc.

I have nothing against regulations per se, but 95% of "regulations" are unnecessary.