[lit-ideas] Re: Protect the patents!

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:57:45 -0500

It would be nice if you're right, Phil.  But this is predicted the way
Katrina was predicted.  Nobody can predict whether it will be a category 2
or a category 5, or even if it will be this year, but it will get here at
some point, and we're helpless.  There will be no place that's safe.  The
economic damage won't be primarily from the deaths either.  It will be from
stopping imports and other such isolation efforts in a futile attempt to
stop the spread of the virus once it starts.  Economic impact will be
global and can be massive.  The Black Death wiped out half of Europe.
Pandemics happen periodically.  It'll get here, even if not this year, and
our big brains will have failed us again.  Did anybody see the History
Channel show in The Plague?