[lit-ideas] Re: Post the letter or burn it

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 16:34:02 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/2011 4:10:04 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
we do speak,  imperatively, that we ought to "Post the letter or burn it"
we are not merely  saying that only posting the letter is the morally correct
action; on the  contrary we are positing burning the letter as a viable
alternative and one  required if we do not post the bloody thing.

---

Perhaps we can see the analogy, though, by reverting to Popper (or Grice
for that matter) on 'therefore', i.e. arguing. I will use two devices:

-------

The line, that is, to divide premise(s) from conclusion:

-----

and the otiose

"∴​"

To mean, 'therefore'.

I claim, indeed that

Post the letter!
_______

∴​ Post the letter, or burn it!

--------- This argument Hare, following Grice, calls 'trivial'.

----

On the other hand, as McEvoy suggests, the following DOES not follow:

 Post the letter, or burn it!
-----
∴​ Burn the letter!

So, it seems that the apparent paradox resolves around:

the triviality of a piece of arguing, that is so trivial that no one would
(one expects) make.
And the INVALIDITY of another piece of reasoning.

Or something like that.

----- I agree with McEvoy that a bit of empiricism and such gets into the
picture, in that, as Ramsey quotes from Lewis Carroll:

--- "Either the song will bring tears to your eyes, or..."
--- "Or what?" asked impatient Alice.
--- "Or else it won't, you know".

In a way, this parallels the reasoning of Helm's dog:

"You are leaving, are you?"

----

Yet, as Ramsey notes, following Aristotle, if we disallow bivalence tout
court -- it is dubious whether statements about the future are either true or
 not --, it is NOT analytic that 'or' gets the truth-table it gets.
Similarly for  imperative counterparts. It is quite a decision, on the part of
the
logician,  say, to introduce 'or' like that (as Gentzen, or Grice does). Or
not, of  course.

Cheers,

Speranza

---- I wonder if wiki has all this under 'free choice' items, and such.
Should check it out. I know the earliest literature is traced to Alf Ross who
published the thing in TWO venues back in the early 1940s.