[lit-ideas] Re: Polls: for future reference

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:14:09 -0000

No, William is right. The first comma in his original version is incorrect.

Alas. (I often put commas after and and but. Actually they may be less 'incorrect' than infelicitous, but I should try to avoid them. But, I should try to avoid them... .)

you can take U out of comp classes, but you can't take comp classes out of U.

You can. We didn't have comp classes. We did have a lot of English grammar at school, and I studied various languages, but I was never actually taught 'comp'. I'd not heard of the five paragraph essay till a couple of weeks ago. But I suppose the non-comp-class way takes longer, also I probably slip up more than people who've been taught the mechanics of writing proper.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
No, William is right. The first comma in his original version is incorrect. And you're right that your fix is a fix.
Ursula