[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophical League Tables

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:46:33 -0700

On Aug 20, 2012, at 3:24 PM, John McCreery wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Changing the subject, are you aware of a book titled _The Philosophers'
> Quarrel: Rousseau, Hume, and the Limits of Understanding_ by Robert Zaretsky
> and John T. Scott? It's a lovely piece of intellectual history, and the title
> is a pun. I hadn't known that Hume and Rousseau were part of the same
> extended social circle, that Hume made an effort to find a place for Rousseau
> to live in England when he was in danger of arrest in France and Geneva, that
> Rousseau was the guest from hell, and that it all ended very badly. It seems
> that the two philosophers didn't understand each other.

On my hand here I have an Eric puppet.  Please watch it and not my lips.

Handpuppet Eric: Yes, John, I did know that.
D.R.:  How?
Handpuppet Eric: Because at one time on Lit-Ideas we had a discussion of David
Edmonds and John Eidinow, "Roussea's Dog."
D.R.:  Really?  I don't remember that.
Handpuppet Eric: Neither do I.
D.R.  Can you sing "Emanuel Kant was a real pissant" while I down this pint of
beer?
Handpuppet Eric:  Are you nuts?
D.R.: Jury's out on that one.

David Ritchie,