[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophical League Tables

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 07:24:40 +0900

Eric,

Thank you. Most kind.

Changing the subject, are you aware of a book titled _The Philosophers'
Quarrel: Rousseau, Hume, and the Limits of Understanding_ by Robert Zaretsky
and John T. Scott? It's a lovely piece of intellectual history, and the title
is a pun. I hadn't known that Hume and Rousseau were part of the same extended
social circle, that Hume made an effort to find a place for Rousseau to live in
England when he was in danger of arrest in France and Geneva, that Rousseau was
the guest from hell, and that it all ended very badly. It seems that the two
philosophers didn't understand each other.

John

In Taiwan I studied magicians.
In Japan I joined the guild.