[lit-ideas] Re: On the Pragmatics of Peace

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:38:27 -0800

You clearly haven't read, Harlan Thomas, "A Yank in the R.A.F." (1941, Random House). It's a novel.

Actually, neither have I...though I own a copy. From the cover blurb, "Tim Baker was young and cocky. He thought the world was his oyster and he believed in money, Tim Baker, and loving (and leaving) women...[big snip]...When they were captured by a detail of Jerries, the gunner jumped the German officer and got killed, so that Morely and Baker could escape. By a miracle, they got back to England. And suddenly Tim Baker knew there were more important things in the world than Tim Baker. After Dunkerque, even Carol decided that he was a real man."

It's in the Triangle books series, which mixes titles like "Air Force Girl," "Arms and the Girl," "Wife for Sale," with Somerset Maugham, Pearl Buck and Agatha Christie. I confess I bought the book because there's a guy on the back who looks just like Ronald Reagan. He says, "Yes, it's mighty satisfying to own good books at such a low price." And Nancy says, "Reading has become our family's most popular pastime."

I digress.

I do know of American involvement in this period. The father of a friend, a U.S. naval officer, served in the R.A.F. He was sent over by his superiors to fly fighters and bombers on combat missions and to find out first hand about tactics and weapons and so on... a spy essentially, but a spy known to both governments. He had to pretend to be Canadian.

Not exactly an "ace in the hole," but a sign that both governments were establishing a basis for co-operation earlier than is generally recognized.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

On Feb 8, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Judith Evans wrote:

If you disarm more still you can
expect a Battle of Britain and you had better hope you have an American
ace-in-the-hole

I remember the Polish Air Aces, I remember the Canadian Air Aces, who flew with the RAF
then.  I don't remember any US help at that stage.